Friday 15 May 2015

Let Me Introduce Winston

This is Winston, our Light Sussex rooster. Isn't he a beauty? He's in charge of our brood of seven hens. They like nothing better than to go free ranging over the lawn, picking up insects and whatever tasty morsels they can get.


I shouldn't have started naming the hens but I did. This is Ruby, a Rhode Island Red. She's one of our oldest hens and is getting very heavy.


When we got our latest batch of hens I decided not to name them any more. They are all pure bred as this means they are much better natured.


They all lay an egg almost every day so we're getting five or six eggs a day. Sometimes it's hard to keep up with using them so I give quite a lot away to friends.



Hens love bread. I was feeding them some while taking these pictures. They run round like mad trying to get every wee crumb. They even jump up and peck it out of my hand.


Have you ever seen a chicken running? It's the most hilarious thing ever!




These two are obviously having a squabble over a piece of bread. Not a very dignified pose!



Nonem has to get into the middle of it all, hoping to sneak a little bit of bread too. If she can't get any bread then a bit of a tummy rub will do. Look, she's lying on my feet!


All the best for now. I haven't forgotten about showing you how I roll a skein of yarn into a ball. Just need to get myself organised.

18 comments:

  1. I love your chickens! We have talked about getting some chickens but so far I haven't convinced my husband. Do they stay in the yard? Will they wander off? I even have names picked out for my potential chickens....Emma, Minnie, Ethel, Beatrice, Esther, Irene, and Bernice. Named after my aunts! Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need to clip one wing so they don't fly away. Once they get used to where their house is they go in themselves at night.

      Delete
  2. Yes I have seen chickens run, it is the funniest thing ever :-) I would love to have some hens someday. Fresh eggs every day sounds like my kind of paradise. Have a lovely weekend. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely pictures of your chooks. How wonderful to have fresh eggs on tap as it were !
    Jillxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. They really are so beautiful.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd love to have hens too - grew up with them wandering around. I'm not sure we could with the dog, though, as he would terrorise them. Doesn't yours chase them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They all get on well together. Depends on the dog I suppose.

      Delete
  6. Hello Gillian,
    Very nice pictures!! Winston has just busy with all those hens..hihi..!!
    Nice shot of the lovely dog. So funny how he demands your attention.

    Many greetings,
    Marco

    ReplyDelete
  7. Are you a morning rooster, Winston?
    Amalia
    Xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Winston looks very handsome! I am sure he is well loved by the ladies!!

    Take care
    Anne (Crochet Between Worlds)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's quite a crew you have there! What fun. Winston is quite a jaunty looking fellow. I would love to have chickens but we don't have the room. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Winston is magnificent. Love his girls, and
    Nomen too.
    Cheers, Anita.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Gillian, Oh Yes Winton is definately beautiful.
    I've not seen chickens running before, thank you for the giggle.

    I hope you do not mind but I have nominated
    you for The Two Good Read Tag's.

    luv
    irene
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous birds Gillian - Winston is very handsome, I think I would have to name them. I would love to have chickens - maybe one day!
    Caz xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh wow - Winston is definitely a stunner. x

    ReplyDelete
  14. What beauties! Great pics, thanks for sharing :-). Happy Monday! Nata xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. They are beautiful pictures of beautiful chooks. I can see that they are very well cared for. I would love to have chooks and the convenience of fresh eggs (even though I know hardly anything about them and their upkeep) but my backyard is too small. Your girls look like they have lots of personality and Winston looks so handsome. Thanks for teaching me a little more about the fun of keeping chickens. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really appreciate you taking the time to do this and I read them all. I will try to reply as soon as possible to any comment that needs a reply.