Thursday 8 May 2014

My First

Hello everyone. I'm glad you've found my blog and are taking the time to read it. This is my first post on my first blog so I hope you'll bear with me until I get used to doing this. I've wanted to start a blog for a very long time so now this is it.

You can read a bit about me at the right hand side. Basically I love making things. Mainly crocheted things or knitted things. For example, here is a crocheted blanket that I've just finished....

Crocheted blanket
This blanket is a very generous single bed size - big enough to get wrapped up in. It is made using acrylic yarn and a 4mm hook. The squares are various sizes all finished with a round of black to join.
 
Here's what it looked like last week before I got all the squares joined.

Almost finished joining all the squares


Squares needing the final round to join
 

My husband has named and claimed the blanket. It's to be The Library Blanket. Funny enough, we don't have a library but if my husband can manage it, we will have (some day).



Now this is more exciting; I have got myself some Sirdar Cotton DK (from my local wool shop, of course). Here it all is in my box.
 
Sirdar Cotton DK

The colours are (from left to right and top to bottom) Vanilla, Seersucker, Light Taupe, Toasted, Sundance, Honeysuckle, Tranquil, Bluebird, Sailor Blue, French Navy, Darling Bud, Hot Pink, Black Violet, Larkin and Cottonfield. The names of the colours are lovely; much nicer than just giving each a number. There are two balls each of 15 colours so a total of 3kg of cotton. The plan is to make 6" squares. A lot of 6" squares. One hundred and forty four to be exact. Yes, that's 144 squares. When joined they will become a blanket for a king sized bed. The Sirdar cotton is really nice to work with so I'm looking forward to making this blanket. I also treated myself to a new soft grip hook just to make the whole experience even better.

Well, I think that's enough to get us started. Please fell free to leave me a comment.

All the best for now.





4 comments:

  1. Welcome to Blogland! That's an amazingly colourful blanket. Look forward to hearing about your hens and bees :) Debbie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debbie. I'll have to do a post soon about the hens and bees.

      Delete
  2. Welcome to blogging! I hope you enjoy it. What a colourful, joyful blanket you've made, and I love the soft colours of yarn you chose.

    Gillian x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gillian. I'm looking forward to making the cotton blanket. Still not sure how I'm going to work in the 15 colours!

      Gillian x

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really appreciate you taking the time to do this and I read them all. I will try to reply as soon as possible to any comment that needs a reply.